Today’s prompt is asking who did I idolize as a teen. Who was my Teen Age Idol.
Ok. I can’t remember one person that I idolized above anyone else. I called my oldest friend who is sometimes my memory to ask her who was the one person that I idolized and she said that nobody stands out.
There is a long list of people, groups, songs, movies and ideas that I idolized as a teenager. I called my oldest friend who is sometimes my memory to ask her who was the one person I idolized and she said nobody stands out.
Here is a list in no particular order –
I was listening to
- Tupac because go listen to 2pacalypse Now (especially Words of Wisdom)
- Public Enemy because It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back
- Ice Cube because go see Straight Out of Compton or listen to AmeriKKKa’s Most Wanted
- Madonna because because 80’s
- Anita Baker because Giving You the Best that I’ve Got
- MC Lyte, Salt & Pepa, Queen Latifah and any female rapper
- Eric B. & Rakim because God MC
- KRS One because edutainment
- X Clan to the east blackwards!
- Betty Wright because I was already an old lady
- Whininess and Commission were my gospel favorites
I was reading, watching and loving
- Malcolm X because as soon as I saw clips of him speaking and read speeches and then the autobiography it was like I crossed a line. There was a Before Malcolm and an After Malcolm
- Alice Walker. Still and always will
- Nikki Giovanni because I was born in the Congo (ego trippin)
- Spike Lee movies because Gator!
- A Different World. Still and always will
That prompt has me going back down memory lane. I always visit anyway. Good stuff stays with you.